Wednesday 4 April 2007

What´s the hurry?

I am 31 and for the last ten years I´ve been determined to learn Spanish. After various unsuccessful attempts at tuition I decided that the best way to do it was to immerse myself and go to Spain. Besides another ambition on my wish list is to live in a town house with tiled floors and a large roof terrace in a cobbled suburb of Seville - I wanted this way before Sarah Beaney was selling homes abroad.

During the subsequent years I´ve been saving up for this trip a few things have changed; I have a house which comes with responsibility and a permanent draw on the finances, I have a lovely girlfriend and the venue has changed.

Greetings from Nicaragua
There are two reasons why I opted for a long 16 flight rather than a quick hop on easyjet. Firstly, my money will go a lot further in Nicaragua and secondly, given that the job I just left was for a large NGO - and realistically the house in Seville isn´t going to happen for a while - I should probably give some thought to a life after this. Six months learning Spanish and volunteering for a local organisation will hopefully not only be extremely rewarding but also look good on the CV.

So, the London pad is being rented, I have some money in the bank and my now lovely Fiancee has reluctantly let me go.

This is it, here I am in the historic town of Leon surrounded by volcanoes and people who speak not a word of English. I have six months to learn it. Wish me luck

No comments: