Tuesday 10 April 2007

Back to escuela

On Easter Monday I had my first Spanish lesson at the school. It was intense. Given that there´s not many students there at the moment -I´m hoping it´s a quiet time rather than a poor school - I´m receiving one-to-one tuition which is obviously good but a total shock to sit down on a Monday morning and be given an exam and then straight into adjetivos posesivos, followed by me reading a chapter of a children´s book. I have four hours of this everyday.

Still, I was looking forward to the afternoon activities. Everday for the first three weeks there´s an activity go on. Today I had a tour of the historical part of town with a local guide. Of course it didn´t click until I met the guide that because I am only new student at the school I am the only one on the tour. So, I got the old 45 minute talk about freedom fighters with cathedrals and poets thrown in.

The funniest thing was the fact that my guide is a professor and a bit of a poet so lots of people were stopping him in the street to say hello. And when it came to the women he would chat for slightly longer and try and coax a phone number out of the them. My Spanish is poor but I think I knew what he was up to.

Right, time for homework.

No comments: