Sunday 15 April 2007

One week down...

So, I´ve successfully completed this week´s tuition and I´m actually beginning to enjoy it. The first few days were really hard, from the moment I woke to the last thing at night every word I uttered aloud was in Spanish.

You expect this to be the case, however, when everything you want to communicate from being passed the milk to trying to ask ´how do you know when a verb is irregular´ it´s pretty draining.

Slowly things are becoming easier. I bought a mobile phone and was informed how to buy credit and register it - not an easy job at the best of times. And, I had a haircut that actually turned out OK, apart from the sideburns that taper to a point, which comes as standard with a haircut here anyway.

Things are good in the house too. The owner, Hilda, makes her living from renting the rooms and is home all the time. So, after classes we usually sit down for lunch - which is the main meal of the day - and exchange a few pleasantries then she does some texting (she´s always texting) and I make a start on homework.

The evenings are when people get back from work and we may sit round the table for an hour. Where I rifle through my dictionary trying to keep up/join the conversation.

Then everone goes off to watch TV in their rooms and if I feel I´ve done enough Spanish for the day I may go to the local bar and read my book.

On the weekendve allowed myself a small indulgence. There´s a bar a few minutes walk away that´s run by a Bristolian. They have really good food there and show the football highlights.

So, I´ve decided that one night per weekend I´ll go there and enjoy some good Bristolian humour and whilst watching the football in Spanish. Not that I´m a huge fan but it beats the national sport of Beisbol.

And that´s my routine for now.

No comments: