Thursday 17 May 2007

The break through - possibly

I´ve almost completed six weeks of my course and have two weeks to go.

These last few two weeks have by far been the most demanding.

From gently learning past and the present tense I was suddenly plunged into Pluscuamperfecto, the Gerundio and various other perfects and imperfects. I had so much going on it my head that all of a sudden I felt I could only string the most basic of sentences together.

How is it possible to be surrounded by Spanish speakers, learning for 6 hours+ per day and not get it?

Well thankfully, whilst doing a few homework exercises suddenly things started to come together. ´This word fits here´, ´ahh that´s what you use the gerundio for´.

I still have a long way to go but at least a few things that previously seemed to have no logic to them are now making sense.

Now I know you´re not going to pity me but I am in serious need of a break. I don´t think I can take on board any more information. In hindsight I think it would have been best to do about 4 weeks, go travelling and practising for a few weeks and then back to school for another 4.

So as it stands, I have two weeks to go, then my girlfriend´s coming over - she´s expecting some seriously good Spanish - and then I need to sort out some volunteering. That´s when I get to practice, learn more and try to understand the Nicaraguan accent.

This weekend I´off to swim in a volcano crater near the colonial city of Granada. I need it - honestly I do.

1 comment:

Mum said...

Re volunteering try www.rainforest-alliance.org this was an advert for coffee Kenco in Purto Rico. Mum